12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #149
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E93 325i | K46 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
From someone who was reluctant to upgrade his navigation maps using downloaded materials I'd leave it if I were you

You can change coding options yourself with the appropriate equipment but you can't do a full update as that requires the BMW software to download and proprietary equipment - neither of which is available in the PD as far as I know.
No I think you misunderstood me...

I'm not reluctant to update my navigation maps, I just don't trust that the software won't crash or go wrong. I am used to doing mobile phone flash updates when you can easily brick your phone. I don't like the idea of bricking my OBC and the potential cost of repairing it, that's all.

I've worked in IT for 16 years so know a thing or two about how these things work, and was disappointed to find that some of the options I had coded on my E46 couldn't be coded on my E93 (like remote closure of the roof; I'll miss that one a lot).

I've made some good progress with my dealer and they are going to do the update that will make postcodes work for 100. I'd prefer to spend 100 at the dealer than risk bricking my OBC and having to sit there with the engine running for 3 hours or however long it takes to do the update... They will also do the OBD update for free, but apparently it's different.

And strangely they've just had a bulletin from BMW saying that they should be updating the OBC on cars as part of the approved used scheme but mine was done about a week before the bulletin came out. Not sure if that's a coincidence or because of the complaint I made directly to BMW GB!