View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #76
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
If your wife or child or anyone you loved or cared about was killed in a "normal accident" would the loss be any less for you than if it was a drunk driver instead? Would you be any less emotional? For me the answer is no. If you are honest with yourself the answer would probably be no too.
I think i didn't make my point clear enough. I'm saying that i personally feel no different by the means in which my loved one was killed. My devastation comes from loosing their companionship for the rest of my life, not the way in which they departed. I think for many, most certainly for the several people i asked today, they would be filled with emotions ranging from resentment to hatred for the drunk driver, mugger, or shooter who took their loved one from them. Where as if it was an "accident" they admitted that they would be more at peace with their loved one's departure.

Quote:
If that same person ran into the school with a samurai sword (or even 3 samurai swords) he couldn't kill 27 people in 10 minutes like he did with the guns he used.
This is debatable, but i see no sense in it.

Quote:
I can also say with certainty if there were as many mass murders committed with samurai swords as there are with guns we would be debating regulation and access to samurai swords.
No offense, but i don't see how you can make these statements with such certainty. If there were 230,000,000 swords in america your statement would likely hold true. If the number of swords in america is what it currently is, i would doubt your statement would be true.

Quote:
The reason people focus emotion and attention on these incidents is because they happen so often and because they are so traumatic and devastating for the people involved as well as the communities in which they occur. The destructive potential and the potential for unspeakable carnage and violence from the types of guns used in most mass murder shootings is unbelievable and frankly rediculous. That is one reason many people are so emotionally opposed to them. There is nothing illogical about wanting to examine all the common elements of these incidents when they occur in an effort to try to prevent them from happening. There are several important elements to examine but mass murder shootings obviously can't happen without guns.
The bold statement is true and most gun owners are open to this, but that's not was is happening. There is an emotional knee jerk reaction to get rid of guns or ban certain types of weapons. By my calculations, about 90% of mass shootings end with the shooter taking their own life. Lets talk about that first. Because clearly if someone is set on suicide, they are not quite mentally stable. Maybe at the same time we're talking about that, we can begin the ban on high capacity magazines. I and the vast majority of gun owners see no reason for 50 or 100 round magazines. This seems like a reasonable starting point to me.

Quote:
And while it may be true that a person whose life is affected by gun violence might be less objective about the subject of guns and regulation, it could also be argued that as a gun owner you might become less objective too.
The number of people affected by gun violence is minuscule compared to the number of people who are not affected by gun violence.

I'm not saying things can't be done to make things safer for citizens. I'm saying that we can't regulate out crazy. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. No amount of legislation will ensure someone won't find a rifle or pistol to use in a shooting rampage. No amount of legislation will ensure someone won't bomb a building killing 168 people (19 of them children). No amount of legislation will ensure a group of people won't hijack planes to use as weapons of mass distraction. Depression, mental problems, hate, evil or what ever we call it will ALWAYS find away to create chaos, carnage, death and distraction.

However, small amounts of legislation can vastly change and impinge on the rights of law abiding citizens. Remember that 99.9953% of gun owners don't commit gun homicides.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States