BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I used VHT Nite shades.

I don't recommend that shit at all on a BMW. I sanded and prepped very carefully. But the first coat I freaked out. Instead of an even layer the crap was literally spitting out of the can onto the sidemarker. It made a very blotchy and "dotted" look that only became uniform at about 8 light coats.

They look great from about 4 feet away and you won't notice unless you insepcted them.. but the finished product up close looks like it doesn't belong on a BMW.

I'll try to upload some pics.

I've heard hobby store paint might work better than VHT. You could look in to that. Or a tint shop would be able to wrap them in a film of any darkness, and much more reversible than the Nite Shades.

Here's some pics

One light coat, horrendous coverage.

About 6-7 light coats, terrible look in the right angles

After some clear coats, looks much better because they're still wet (but imperfections still visible up close)

Mounted

Illuminated

Not sure what happened with yours.

Sanding is not really necessary but what is important is using rubbing alcohol and water 50/50 to get rid of any contaminants on the housing.

Also the conditions of painting need to be good, I.E. 70 degrees and no more then 90 degrees.

Also you need to spray a good 12 inches or more away from the housing when you paint. If you go to close you get a lot of splatter.

The VHT nightshade is hard to work with for some people, especially if conditions are not right. Some people may just want to pick up some tint and cut accordingly.

Hope this helps anyone else trying it out.