View Single Post
      12-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Broken Radiator Drain Plug

I broke the radiator drain plug on my e92 335. Does anyone know how to properly remove/install these? Because it appears that I certainly don't

I was installing an FMIC and decided to drain the radiator at the same time since I had access to the drain plug. I wasn't sure how to remove the drain plug as the outer edge is a hex shape and the center is a large phillips-looking piece. I first tried to remove the drain plug by turning the outside edge with a socket, thinking it was similar to an oil drain plug/bolt, and just a single piece. It's plastic, though, and something seemed to break when I turned it (some retaining/fastening teeth?). I'm wondering if I should of held the outer edge stable with a wrench, then unscrewed the middle section with a large phillips? Anyway, it was not leaking and looked to be still attached, so I decided to leave it alone. After installing the FMIC, I went out for a drive and quickly got a low coolant warning, followed shortly by a high engine temp warning. I made it home to find coolant sprayed over everything on the driver's front underside (the location of the drain plug). Looks like I'm without transportation tomorrow and will have to hope that the local dealership has a replacement plug. Anyway, I think I found the part on realoem.com (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=05)--#03--but have no idea how to remove the broken part or install the new one.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |

Last edited by cbad335; 12-30-2012 at 01:50 AM.
cbad335 is offline   United_States