Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
My advice

Do not be scared of open pit lane

It really doesn't matter what level of equipment/talent you show up with someone will always humble you. Be courteous and consider your mirrors and you will cope fine
I consider myself an average driver. I pass as much as goes past on the track. Perhaps I pass more than goes past when dedicated d01 type rubber is nailed on
Then I passegered a Clio cup driver in a 125 mile old Clio cup direct from the forecourt and realised my lack of talent

In stark contrast to some previous posts
Do absolutely as much as possible to secure yourself to the car. I've been out with professional drivers (talk to Melindi @ Gold track) and the CG lock would be an absolute minimum requirement for me ( my track cars are equipped with genooine harnesses). He who is detached from the car is detached from driving.
Wedging yourself with your knees is, without wishing to sound like an absolute arse, laughable advice from someone with no idea. With standard belts you can achieve a reasonable result by yanking on the belt fast enough to engage the safety lock. After a couple of attempts you'll be able to do this such that when you actually connect belt to buckle it will be very tight

Wet and cold can be the absolute best. Driving fast in such conditions requires talent (that, as demonstrated by said clio driver I posess in modicum only)

Bedford, AFAIK, is a concrete aerodrome. If you do press on tyre wear will be harsh compared to "proper" tarmac circuits

Re insurance.
Your standard policy will specifically exclude track days unless its from someone like REIS (who understand what a track day is) and specifically names track days. People have got away with pushing smoking ruins down the (always torturously long) access roads to public highways but it's a risky bet at best
Typical policies will run you about 10 per k of insured value. If you do buy read the small print very very very very very very carefully. Then read it again. Many will specifically exclude bodywork damage

Above all, enjoy the event
If you do book through a reputable establishment (I do recommend Gold track, not because they pay me but because they run a good track day and I know/respect a good few drivers there) then I personally suggest taking lessons from the resident Stig. (Usually Calum Lockie of LeMans fame if booked through Goldtrack). It will cost a few scheckles but I guarantee it will open your eyes
Sound advice. P.s Spolling Mostiks lol very clever.