View Single Post
      01-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Verbatim
Colonel

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Fake K+DCAN CABLE? (ebay)

I ordered a K+DCAN cable from ebay for roughly $27 a couple of months ago, and only really tried to use it recently as I replaced my battery. Using BMWLogger, i would receive an error telling me that the device is "not properly powered" and with INPA I would also receive a data transmission error.
I believe my cable is faulty, and so I opened it up. I'm no engineer, but I only see a few lines of circuitry connecting the pins to the cable. Looks like 3 or 4 actually have connections, and the rest are connected to nothing.
Also, unlike the cable at One Stop Electronics, this cable has the CE mark that represents "China Export" and not the CE mark from Europe.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking#Misuse)

Here you can see that the metal connectors go to the center of the circuit board, Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 999
Size:  132.7 KB

And it appears to me that only a few of the pins are actually connected!
Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  171.9 KB

Here's a photo of the back of the device, and this sticker is what differentiates it physically from the one sold by one stop electronics.
Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 940
Size:  119.9 KB

What cable do you guys recommend? Is it still the $99 cable from one_stop_electronics?

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines

Last edited by Verbatim; 01-06-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Verbatim is online now   United_States