smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSerge View Post
Off to the next part. What do you guys think about bringing one of those smaller super efficient diesel engines and putting it in instead of N51/N52/N54? ... I guess, you'd need to bring the tranny as well... Reprogram the ecu, etc... But theoretically speaking, do you think this is possible?
I've thought about it too but it's pretty hard to do with respect to emissions if you wanted to put it in a modern chassis (e9x). Here in GA, you'd have to do a smog test. Pretty hard to do considering it'd be a diesel engine without the urea system (2007 newer requirement).

The slight possibility for GA would be to find the chassis of a 335d to do the swap as the 335d vin would be exempt from emissions testting.

You'd have to keep the ECU type matched to the engine type. Maybe there's a way to change the VIN of the 320d ECU to match the rest of the car?

I've thought about doing the e90 320d's engine into my e30 chassis. Since the e30 is past 25yrs (officially an antique, smog testing is exempt).

Just keep in mind that if you're doing the diesel swap, you'd need the whole engine, tranny, ECU, harness and fuel tank / pump.