01-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
FRP vs CF hood questions

I am certain this has been discussed before. I searched and found a few short threads, but nothing that really answered my questions.

I am getting ready to order a new hood and I need to know the actual pros/cons of FRP vs CF. From my understanding the CF hoods are just FRP with a layer of CF on top, which would make this mostly for "show" am I right? My plans are to paint the hood either way.

I spoke to my body shop and they mentioned FRP having issues with cracking under stress, and CF being more difficult to paint. In fact, the hood I have now is painted CF and the reason I'm getting rid of it is because the paint job was botched so badly that you can see the CF weave through the paint. My shop could not guarantee that this wouldn't happen again with another CF hood. Not sure I quite believe that, but I'll take them at their word.

I'm just trying to make an informed decision, and pick the material that's the best fit for what I need. By the way, the hood I am most likely getting is this one: http://www.jgmods.com/index.php/bmw/...d-bmw-e90.html if that helps. If the extra $250 is really just for the "look" of cf, then it's a no-brainer that I would go with FRP since it will be painted over, but if there are any actual benefits of the CF version that I don't know about, I have no problem spending the money for a better product. I just don't know what the real differences are.

Can someone explain the actual differences and benefits of one vs the other? I feel like I'm missing something.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)

Last edited by cmyk; 01-19-2013 at 11:48 AM.