01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
cmyk
resident girl.

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay
Just curious, why don't you just strip the paint off the current one and have it reprinted?
Carbon fiber is lighted
FRP though will stil be lighter then OEM metal
With a hood you don't really have to worry about the structural integrity of FRP.
If you are going to paint the whole thing anyway then go for FRP.
But again, I have a buddy who stripped the paint of his m3 front lip back t carbon with no problem, and just re-clear coats it and it looks good as new.
Y should just have yours stripped and repainted unless I am missing something
Thanks -- as far as stripping and repainting, that is unfortunately not an option in this case. The body shop sanded down all of the gel coating and attempted to paint the cf directly (don't ask me why, I have no clue what they were thinking). When the paint soaked into the weave pattern, they tried to put filler on top of it. It was then sanded down and repainted a second time, and then a third time, but the paint now has a weave texture that you can see from 10 feet away. They basically ruined the hood, and are reimbursing me for the price I paid for the original hood so that I can buy another one. Just wanted to make sure this didn't happen again.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
cmyk is offline   United_States