View Single Post
      01-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #34
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep

Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive

In CA, you HAVE to wait until the ped clears the sidewalk. Meaning, from the moment they step off the curb to the time they get back on, you cannot turn. But usually cops don't trip as long as the peds are far from you.
No, you don't. You're just repeating something you heard somewhere. There is nothing in the vehicle code that says that, all it says is that you have to give pedestrians the right of way, although cops don't necessarily know that.
Quote:
VC21950(a)
The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to
a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or
within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
Take a look at the code section which you have supposedly violated. I'm willing to bet it is that 21950(a). If you can get the cop to admit that you waited for the pedestrian to cross and he was well past you, you have fulfilled the code requirements and you have an excellent chance of winning your case. If it is not 21950(a), read the section that he claims you violated carefully. I bet you find an out.