01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #873
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I would love it! Except it would start around 62k base + some track package (cooling, lsd, dry sump, larger rotors etc) easily 70k new, before tax. This is all great, but 2-3 years in you can get one for 50k or less. Best to buy used, but that would be 3 years away!

Why z06? It is the best suited for track, lightweight aluminum frame, 31xx lbs, whereas the ZR1 having same frame but with supercharget etc is 150 lbs heavier, but have more hp and is also a little heavier up front. Base C6 frame is steel, therefore also 33xx lbs.

So Z06 is track king: 2012 Z06 was only 2 seconds slower than a ZR1 on the Ring, where the latter has 135 hp more. Can we agree that it is impressively little difference over a 7'20" lap time? Same driver btw. Also ZR1 carries a $30k premium, new. You can get a used low mileage Z06 for $40-50k. Used ZR1 starts around 75k up to over $100k.

But base vette with track option is an option I will contemplate, no hurry though. I figure there are a lot of those around
if you got a 1 or 2 yr old z06, you should still have enough warranty to make sure that there are no issues with the car.

i still dont think there's a perfect track car that doesnt need extra service to keep it running well on the track. even race cars need an engine rebuild every now and then. if you want an all out track car that you dont need to do a single mod on, then i guess its time to go for a 911 Cup car, but then it wont be street legal.

ZR1 is not a good choice for the track. its heavier and was designed more for straight line speed than for handling. also i would think a supercharged car would have more over heating issues on the track in the long run.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0