GoRomeo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_bimmer View Post
Romeo, how many miles on your car? The filter is integrated in the reservoir, so if you have over 100K miles or so and have never changed the fluid, you might consider replacing the reservoir just so you get a new filter in there.

There is a DIY video on BavAuto that shows how to do it (older BMW but same procedure)

http://youtu.be/T4Gp1vNgOLc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Actually, I think a turkey baster change at every oil change for the life of the car is the best way to go. It keeps the fluid always-fresh, instead of waiting a long time for it to degrade then needing to get every last bit out. Now, CHF-11S is more expensive than the ATF most of my previous cars have used so depending on just what percentage of the system level is contained in the reservoir I might change that to "every second or third oil change" for my E90.
I agree with you. It makes sense to have a car with fresh fluid rather than wait till its too late and ruin your power steering pump. I think this process will help the life of the pump. I will definately add this task when I change my plugs in the next few days. Although I asked my friend the BMW tech yesterday and mentioned that according to his experience which is 15 yrs working for BMW, never change Power Steering fluid unless is leaking or requested but never for maintenance purposes. Not it makes me wonder if mine has ever been changed!!!

FYI the CHF 11s is only 21.00 for 1 liter at Napa Auto stores.

Last edited by GoRomeo; 01-25-2013 at 03:45 PM.