01-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #33
blutattoo
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmember343 View Post
Just because codes are cleared doesn't mean they can't check its not working. As soon as you hook up he OBD scanner to the car, the computer will show that it hasn't picked up a lot of things (emissions, etc) Any person working with cars will know that obviously the car codes have been cleared and prolly wouldnt take the car in until its been driven for a few miles for the codes to come back on.
From a former Carmax buyer I can tell you that it would absolutely work. We don't do any mechanical examination prior to buying the car. We check for previous body work, obvious signs (visual and driving) of mechanical problems, we make sure everything works (windows, ac, radio/nav, etc.) we take a very short drive, and then we look at what we can buy the car for at auction and what we can sell the car for after typical refurbishing. With those factors in mind we make an offer that is good for 5 days or 500 miles. If the CEL is off when you bring it in we'd never know the difference. If you reset the CEL and it came on after we made the offer, but before you actually traded it in we still wouldn't know since a different department handles the purchasing of the car.

I don't work there anymore so I'm not obligated to the company. Just a thought for those interested in selling your car there.

We would eventually catch it on the back end and then either fix it at cost, or if it would cost to much then we would then send the car to auction for other dealers to buy.

As for the the Carmax employee who wouldn't buy a car there, well let's just say they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. As an employee you get to cherry pick the best cars and pay slightly over cost for them. I bought multiple cars there and then sold them back for an almost identical cost even after a couple years of driving them. If you were going to buy a used car there is no better way to do it. If you work there and buy somewhere else, well let's just say that'd be like working for BMW then buying your BMW from a dealership at retail.

Last edited by blutattoo; 01-28-2013 at 04:17 PM.