View Single Post
      01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW

From the other forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzep View Post
Not quite sure where to start and do not want this to sound like a downer on the X3 because I actually like it - just plagued by the carbon/crud build up problem (I think).
Bought the X3, 2.0 SE diesel in 2006 when 6 months old and had good service from the dealer until the warranty expired, which is when the yellow engine light started to come on and briefly after 3 years of trying to resolve still no success.
Last year spent a fortune replacing various parts that the dealer recommended should be changed - computer diagnostics said so, EGR, sensor valve?, Air mass filter....etc. finally took it to an independent who instantly said the inlet manifold needed cleaning which he duly did. This finally worked for a while but for the last 6 months the light is back....miles per gallon has reduced again to around 25 daily and 45 on a run. Used to do 35 daily when bought.

I've moved to shell v-power and noticed knocking when idling?

My driving pattern probably doesn't help as its mainly 10 miles to work and 10 miles back although I do give it a long run once a month (200 miles) and try and give it a high rev cycle (~4000 revs) for about 10 mins every week.
I'm waiting for something I saw on the web from "power enhancer" BG244 diesel fuel cleaner - I'm not 100% confident this will sort out the problem. I will even start doing more regular oil services myself earlier than the indicator - is there a good step by step guide?

Just looking for guidance on what I can do as I intend to keep the car as its practical and I do like it even though its a hard ride - but really frustrated by this.

I am considering either replacing or cleaning the inlet manifold again - is this something that a practical DIYer can do? If so is there a good step by step guide or can someone help me with a guide.

I used to do most of the engine work myself on my earlier cars many moons ago but have been softened up by the newer cars.

Are there any other products that I could used to clean out the air intake side rather than the fuel end?

Any help or guidance appreciated as I am loathe to go back to the dealer again and the independent although good still wasn't able to resolve this - or am I asking too much?

Cheers and thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
Amigos this what I wrote in the other forum:

Amigos I can attest to this supposedly carbon build up this last saturday as I was going to the 1/2 mile race I had the ENGINE light come up and man i almost SHEIT on myself. I called my mechanic as he was going to race my car for me since I have a broken hand. He told that that occurs also with the JBD on some of his clients. and informed me not to worry I stopped turn car off and back on and it was GONE!! OK I deided later to press on it and GUESS WHAT? Not only the ENGINE light come but also the damn ESE light F'me now Im pissed and scared. I stopped and turned off and back on AGAIN! and the engine light gone but not the SES.

The car was running quite VAGUELY but I realized the the day before I had put on 3 ounces of Amsoil DIESEL injector cleaner and 3ounces of AMSOIL CETANE Booster, I guess all the SOOT was coming off since it had been a month since I had stopped using DIESEL Injector Cleaner. Anyway, my friend drove the 1/2 mile race and he told he clocked 150 mph at the end of the track but forgot to clock at the 1/2 marker(he did it twice) he was VERY IMpressed with the DIESEL, he had had many gassers during his youth and was ALL smiles with the DIESEL. My car clocked the first time 120 mph which I found very disturbing since I had a better program come to find out the systme was not calibrated weel and many competirors were complaining.

Anyway, once I took the car and drove to my uncles house I noticed the car was eager and loose, i looked at my girlfriend and told her "Hey something is wrong with the car, she REPLIED by saying The car is responding better!!" I drove the car to the 1/2 mile race went to my uncles ate and got drunk partied at nite, next day drove to the other extreme of the island and went to see my friends game and drank and ate an came home and looked at the tnak and guess what? 1/2 tank on 243 miles, PRICELES!!!! Now my girlfriend wants a DIESEL!!!

P.S. The SES light went off the next day at my uncles.
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg601 View Post
got the new injector but the car still runs rough-they say carbon build in the intake manifold, maybe in the top end as well. they will clean the intake manifold but gratis but won't take the head off for free.

I think I was the first to have the egr valve problem which led to the recall. I wonder if running for 80K with the old emissions gear caused the carbon build or if it will occur in all of these 50 state cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNC81 View Post
Scan of what was done with mine (used OCR to convert to text):

CUSTOMER CAME TO PICK UP CAR AND SES LIGHT WAS BACK ON . CAR
DID NOT LEAVE THE DEALER SHIP.
SHORT TESTED CAR AND FOUND FAULTS 4583 AND 4585 NOX SENSORS
AFTER CAT AND BEFORE CAT.NO TESTPLAN AVALIBLE FOR FAULTS
FAULTS DUE TO PROGRAMMING FROM LAST REPAIR AS PER PUMA.
PUMA SAID LTO REPLACE THE NOX SENSORS.REPLACED BOTH BEFORE
CAT AND AFTER CAT NOX SENSOR. CLEARED FAULTS AND TEST DROVE
PUMA CASE # 49531330
AFTER 30 MILES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CANE BACK ON FOR FAULT
4AF5 ZERO QUANITY ADAPTION INJECTOR # 3.TESTPLAN SAID TO
REPLACED CYLINDER 3 INJECTOR.
SUPPLEMENTED TC CASE AND REPLACEMENT OF INJECTOR #3 WAS
AUTHORIZED. REPLACED CYL #3 FUEL INJECTOR, CALIBRATED TO DDE
AND PERFORMED FUEL SYSTEM BLEED TEST PLAN. CLEARED FAULT
MEMORY AND PERFORMED EXTENDED TEST DRIVE.
LIGHT CAME BACK ON AFTER TEST DRIVE FOR 4C04 EXHAUST GAS
TEMP FAULT AND SMOOTH RUNNING FAULTS CYLINDER 3,5,6,1
AS PER PUMA REMOVED INTAKE TO CHECK FOR CARBON AND CARBON
WAS FOUND IN INTAKE, VALVE COVER,EGR,THROTTLE VALVE AND
CYLINDER HEAD.
AS PER PUMA REPLACED CYLINDER HEAD. INTAKE,VALVE COVER,EGR
AND THROTTLE VALVE.PERFORMED RETRO FIT IN ISTA FOR NEW
EGR VALVE AND CODED COMPLETE CAR.

- -QTY- - -FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE-

1 13-62-8-511-666 SENSOR FOR NOX WARRANTY

1 13-62-8-511-665 SENSOR FOR NOX WARRANTY

1 13-53-7-808-094 RMFD INJECTOR WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-806-061 CYLINDER HEAD WARRANTY

1 11-12-O-421-276 GASKET SET CYLINDER WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-798-532 SET BOLT CYLINDER H WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-809.860 CYLINDER HEAD COVER WARRANTY

1 11-61-7-823-073 INTAKE MANIFOLD WIT WARRANTY

1 11-71.8.517-217 EGR-VALVE WARRANTY

1 13-54-7-792-098 O-RING WARRANTY

1 11-71-7-804-384 THROTTLE WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-801-699 CYLINDER HEAD GASKE WARRANTY

2 07-11-9-963.151 GASKET RING WARRANTY

1 64-55-7-793-608 RIBBED V-BELT WARRANTY

1 82-14-1-467-704 ANTIFREEZE WARRANTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
This is the same reason I was given. Excessive carbon buildup. Honestly the SES light in my case isn't false, there are drive-ability issues. Hopefully that won't be the case after the replacement but we will see. I will report back once it is completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg601 View Post
reached 75K with no problems except a "service engine soon" notice which turned out to be a clogged EGR valve. They said BMW expected their customers to drive their cars harder to cleanse the valve.

At any rate, they redesigned the valve and have a new model to install. It requires special reprogramming. My car is in the shop while they wait for a German BMW engineer to come back from holiday to supervise the reprogramming.

the cost is $1100. Not covered by exhaust warranty they say and even though they redesigned the part it is not an official recall. They say my car has too many miles for a goodwill repair

Otherwise the car is perfect- about 32 combined mileage

They gave me a 328 sport model as a loaner. pretty fun but no comparison.