Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I would like to hear your opinion on how banning semi-automatic rifles and 30 round magazines are going to curb gun-related violence in this country.

I believe we have a violence problem in America. It fascinates people. It sells movie tickets, video games, TV commercial spots and many event tickets in this country. In a country with a violence problem, that has as many illegal and legal guns in it; violence from the muzzle of a firearm is inevitable. No one will argue that pulling a trigger isn't easier than driving a sharp object into someone or beating them with a blunt object or beating them with bare hands. So obviously, if guns DIDN' T EXIST there would be a portion of homicides reduced. Any by didn't exist, i mean anywhere, in the world; no cops, not military, etc... Because if there are guns somewhere there will be homicides committed with them.

Since violence is acted out in many other ways that exclude firearms i don't think it's a solvable problem. I do believe it can be reduced. In fact homicides, violent crimes as well as firearm related crimes have been decreasing over the past decade. I"m not going to go into how it can be reduced because it's been said by others as well as myself in this thread and several others.

Now this is where the point is and since it's be made several times perviously in this thread and others i'll ask you to read carefully....

Hand guns are responsible for more than 99% of firearm homicides in this country, "gun-related violence" as you said. Long guns (rifles and shotguns) are responsible for less than 1% of firearm homicides in this country. Why does the government seem intent on banning the weapons and accessories that are responsible for the least, less than 1%, amount of "gun-related violence" in this country?

And by all means, ask another question if you wish, but please answer ours as well.
I concur with your point that we live in a violent culture with all it's implications. I'll just add that it logically follows that places with more guns are likely to have more gun deaths.

To address your question; I believe the reason there is so much focus on automatic and semi-automatic firearms and large capacity magazines is because their potential for mass carnage is exponentially greater than that of handguns. They are almost exclusively the weapons of choice in mass shooting incidents. Mass shooting incidents attract intense media coverage for extended perioids of time and have a huge impact on the national psyche due to their horrific nature. Of course these tragedies also have a devistating and lasting impact on the local communities in which they occur. Though the number of homicides committed with these types of firearms and accessories may be less in real numbers than homicides committed with handguns, I would argue their impact on society is disproportionately greater when used in mass shootings, which in my opinion jusitfies the scrutiny.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper