View Single Post
      02-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
kaigoss69
Colonel

Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Kaigoss, I am going to try your recommendations.
At the moment my mid crossovers are set LP @ 6Khz.

I was going through L3 manual and I came across something interesting. As we know that HAT team has won mutliple awars and their recommended setting are;

your desired crossover frequency for the Legatia midrange and/or midbass should be one that allows the midbass or midrange to play as much of the audible spectrum of the spoken voice to ensure point-source delivery of the tones and pinpoint image definition. In many cases, this would be around 200-250 Hz for high pass, and around 6,000 Hz, or higher, for low pass. In all cases, the chosen crossover frequencies should be evaluated for sonic character, while balancing distortion and power compression at high amplitude levels.
I hear all that and it would work great if the drivers were more on-axis, but they are not. The driver's side mid is more than 60 degrees off-axis. This means the higher the frequencies, the more narrow the dispersion cone becomes. Below you will see the frequency response of the Dynaudio Esotar2 430 midrange (I was not able to find one for the Legatia with off-axis data). It is arguably one of the best midranges money can buy. Look at the 60-degree off-axis response at above 5kHz. It would require some very heavy EQ just to correct the 5kHz range. Now I'm not saying it can't be done (and I have done it) but you will need a LOT of EQ processing just to make those corrections, and I am a firm believer in the theory that the less corrections the MS-8 needs to make, the more "headroom" it has available to do its "magic". One other consideration is reflections and it ties in with what I just said... if you are heavily boosting to compensate for cone beaming, then the reflections off glass and other surfaces in the car will become louder and more of a distraction, and it will require more adjustments by the processor (if possible). I hope you see where I'm going with this. If the mids were less than 30 degrees off-axis, you could probably cross them above 10kHz and they would sound beautiful, but at 60 degrees IMO you're just doing more harm than good if you raise the LPF outside of the speaker's cone beaming range.

So much for the theory. Having said all that I did run the L3SE's full range at one time and it did sound very good. However, I believe it sounds better now with the tweeters added.
Attached Images