View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #84
Beemerized KC
Registered

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sports Package

Help-Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS RFT Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
Ok, wheels are different widths, so the tires will be too, that means they are staggered. Staggered sets wear quicker in the rear, by about 40% over the fronts. The manufacturers warranties on staggered setups is usually cut by 50% of the advertised warranty as a result of the wear.

Tires have a set of numbers on the side, along with their name. Just look at them, should be 2xx/xx/r19, fill in the x's and give us the brand and model.

RFT stands for run flat tire, if you don't know, look for a circle that says RFT on the side wall of the tire, if it isn't there, they are not.

UTQG is the wear grade of a tire, range is about 90 to 600 and varies between manufacturers. The lower the rating, the quicker the wear but greater dry grip as well.

Tailing out a bit on corners will cause feathering of the edges on tires but usually does not cause extreme wear over the life of the tire unless it is regular and you really let it slip.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

I am new member here, so can't even create a new thread. However, could you please see if you could share your inputs with me around a situation I am facing.
I brought 2 Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS PP RFT's (One at 54k and the other one at 62k respectively) and both are now completely bald and my car's run only about 70k as of today. These tires came with 40K mile warranty on them so I suspected they would have lasted me at least 25-30k.
On contacting Bridgestone, my initial warranty claim was completely denied (which seems to be a trend with most of these companies these days).

On pursuing the matter furthur with the corporate tech support, the dealership indeed did more examination and determined that the inner side of the one on the left was worn way more (although the rest of the tire is completely bald too). This was the tire with just about 8k miles on it.

The other tire has a complete even wearout after running about 16k miles.

After a good amount of argument, I am being offered 50% credit on the price of these tires.

Should I take the deal or pursue the matter furthur? (The dealer tells me he would need to send the tire to Bridgestone and in all probabilities, their response would not be favourable).
After pursuing and fighting hard, the dealer is now giving me 50% off a set of new tire(along with free installation). Should I be taking this deal or pursuing furthur?

Any advice around what could have led to the inner side on the left being a little more worn out than the rest of the tire will also be much appreciated.

Thanks
KC