View Single Post
      02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
jb84
Private

Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Wow I've never seen anything quite like that before. Short of chemically stripping everything from the wheel I don't know if any regular wheel cleaners would work for you.
Yeah it's pretty severe. I had thought about getting it refurbished but that would cost me more than the extra I'd get for it so not really sure if that would achieve anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
A few suggestions

I hate the stuff normally, but wonder wheels is just about the strongest stuff you can buy and is a fairly strong acid. Use this coupled with a brass wire brush. Don't use a steel wire brush as it will seriously damage the paint and alloy, but a brass brush should be ok. Work in the direction of the wheel as opposed to across as any scratches that do develop will be less visible. Make sure you wear some eye protection as you will splash stuff everywhere.

It also might be worth getting some clutch/brake cleaner which is about 6 for a can.

You could also try oven cleaner, but this stuff is viscous and so you don't want it on the alloy for more than about 20 seconds.
Thanks a lot for those suggestions, much appreciated. Will try those and see how I get on.