I've solved it ... after a few hours of tinkering.
So, here's the run-down
Win7, is so smart its stupid. It knows if the files were created via another computer (duh, they had to be created somewhere), and it will not let the computer run/install them if they stay encrypted.
- Download the Rev3 Driver from: http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...0Installer.zip
- Unzip the file to the location of your choosing.
- Notice if the unzipped folder is GREEN or BLACK
- If its Black, then you should be able to install without issue. If its GREEN then follow the rest of these directions.
- Right Click on the GREEN folder which contains the driver installation files.
- Select properties.
- Click Advanced button in the General tab.
- UNCHECK the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box.
- Select the OK box.
- Apply the change and select OK to close the dialog.
Here is where we are going to change some things to allow a "success" or "fail" message for the install.
- Open the Driver Installation folder.
- Right Click on the Setup file and select "Open With..." Choose NOTEPAD.
- Where is say [Install Quite Mode] ... Change the word 'On' to 'Off'.
- Choose the File Menu, and select SAVE ... NOT SAVE AS!
- Turn off your network/internet connections.
- Run the PreInstaller.
- A dialog should open now, instead of the program doing nothing.
- Choose OK to all the prompts, do not change any values.
When the setup completes, you will get hopefully get a success message. If you do, plug in your USB, and allow the driver to recognize the hardware, and install itself.
That should be all.
Took me about 3 hours to figure all this out after trying MANY things. Hopefully it will help out someone else.
I may have left out some peices, but I tried so many things, I'm not sure if any other steps helped make this a success. Give it a whirl and let me know how it goes.