02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
As an experienced driver, I have to be brutally honest with you. The 335is was a very poor choice for a track car. Since you are already experienced, you can just throw on the mods now, so you can start to adjust to the way it drives on the track right away. You'll need the following to even begin to partially mimic the way the porsche drives on the track, and even then, keep in mind that this vehicle will give you a lot of headaches, and perform poorly at the track, especially during the summer months:

1. complete M3 suspension conversion (control arms, sway bars, rear subframe bushings)
2. KW coilover suspension, or at the very least, Koni yellow shocks
3. cross drilled rotors, and upgraded pads
4. Limited slip differential
5. After market oil cooler (Stett, or ER)
6. cobb AP or other flash tune
7. FMIC, catless Down pipes, Cat back exhaust (optional), Intake or upgraded filter, 02 sims for emissions
The OP didn't state anything about upgrading the car so it compares to the Porsche; "I wanted a daily driver that I could run laps in".

OP, you could take the car to the track stock and be OK, though I'd do these before your initial event:

-Brake fluid flush to high-temp fluid
-CDV delete (will improve shift accuracy)

Later on, consider upgrading the intercooler to something like the ETS 5" if you notice inconsistent throttle response, as the stock intercooler heat soaks quickly. It's not a big deal if you have a long straight on your track though; the stock intercooler recovers pretty fast. I had no problems with the stock intercooler on track even on 100*F days.

Something to think about now is tires. I've found it is more economical to have a separate wheel/tire set for track use, if you go more than a few times a year. You can fit four wheels in the back of the 335.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
One thing you'll learn is these 335i guys love going on and on about how inadequate the car is for the track.
I'm going to disagree again here. It's a capable car in the right hands and provides a rewarding driving experience. Telling the OP he needs 5 figures' worth of mods to have fun is ridiculous. I'm honestly quite surprised at the unjust bashing some of you are giving this car.

People, at least the ones at events I go to, attend HPDEs for the track experience, not the equipment. The equipment factors in but generally isn't an issue as long as it performs at a certain level - and it takes a very good driver to make a 335 inadequate.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States