roundel335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
When it sits lines look bone dry...start the car up and that is when you notice the lines getting shiny and oily residue on them.
Sounds like a pinhole leak to me. Look at your fittings first, particularly the ones highest in the engine compartment. Check where you first see the oily residue and see if you can locate the source of the leak. If it starts at the very uppermost part of the lines, it's likely the fittings going into the oil filter housing. My first leak was at the fitting entering the cooler at the bottom side. 2nd leak was the same line, due to it rubbing against the T-clamp where my ETS intercooler connected with the piping from the turbos. Cut right through the nylon braid and into the hose itself.

I recommend being careful on how/where your intercooler clamp is positioned, and also making sure you don't have excess line length that would cause it to loop up in that area. Several well-placed tie-wraps will keep the two lines together and prevent one of them from interfering with any other components when crossing behind the radiator/fan and past the intercooler plumbing.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE

Last edited by roundel335; 02-21-2013 at 12:07 PM.