View Single Post
      02-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #83
Killerfish2012
Major

Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
With a 1.5 way differential (which is what you want for a normal track/racecar) when accelerating through a corner you want and need maximum lock-up for the best traction available. Maximum lock-up doesn’t mean 100% lock-up, it means the maximum available depending on ramp angle, plate number and configuration. This is setup by the installer depending on application and driver preference. Mid-corner on trailing throttle, you will not have lock-up, unless preload is very high, and for a tarmac car this should be set to a low figure. Basically you want lock-up under acceleration and a small amount of lock-up under decal to help stabilise the rear end.
Therein lies the problem. Folks in the US like to go to different tracks, which have widely varying configurations. We can't simply just decide on what %lock is ideal for the 335I. Maybe OS giken has determined that 40% lock up is fine for most cornering situations (which they don't, cuz they rely on you the customer to decide the percentage when you order it). Further complicating this issue is the fact that people like to change their suspension set up in the rear. M3 subframe bushings, stiffer/adjustable non oem rear track struts, staggered wheel and tire setups etc. Because of these two reasons, varying cornering steepness, and modifications to the suspension, I find it extremely hard to believe in a one size fits all lock up %.

Quote:
Changing a plated diff’s maximum lock-up is very easy to do, it’s not complicated, it is time consuming though, but once setup in the sweet spot, the benefits of improved traction out way a helical diff. The problem is, 99.9% of people don’t know how to set them up for maximum performance depending on driver preference. All plated LSD’s can be adjusted in regards to maximum lock-up by adjusting plate configuration.
You've just shot yourself in the foot there mate, by loosing the argument on practicality. Most folks on here are among those 99.9%, and don't know how to start taking apart their LSD, trying to find the "sweet spot" come track day. Wavetrac wins here hands down.

Quote:
Quaife for the street, Wavetrac for street/track, OS Giken for hardcore street/track (best traction/adjustablility)
OS Giken for the extremely mechanically inclined enthusiasts who enjoy taking their cars apart, come track day. Another membership criteria, for this same crowd is that they should never take their car off road, even by accident, cuz if one rear tire is lifted off the ground, their LSD won't be able to get their car moving again.