View Single Post
      03-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #76
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

SUB'd for teardown pictures/details.

Just a little thinking out loud here: I doubt it was a tune or meth related failure. Even on ACN the DME can handle 14psi@stock timing like a champ. I've seen more than a couple logs of cars having multiple cylinders making 7+ degree corrections at a time and zero issues as a result. In no way am i ever suggesting relying on the DME as a failsafe but shit happens and the DME programming probably saves engines on a daily basis.

The injector stuck open sounds plausible. Large amounts of raw fuel could easily result in a loud explosion, plume of white smoke and engine failure. I actually had the same thing happen to a F150 i had a few years back.

Also, can't really rule out a failure in the top end. Valves are dropped all the time, we're just blessed to have an engine that is mechanically a tank and we don't see that stuff happening(yet...)