03-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Quasimodem
Colonel

Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
I do believe it does, yes. That's the idea behind the multiple cables - the main starter/alternator cable is not fused. You'd have to fuse it at north of 1kA, and 1kA is effectively a short circuit anyway so from a safety perspective, if the cable got cut in a crash, the fuse probably wouldn't blow and you'd still get dangerous sparks or current either way. Hence the explosive disconnect when you get in a crash. Safety thing. The others are all fused much lower than shor circuit current, though, so you don't need some kind of disconnect.

The question is, what ARE they fused at? I couldn't tell you, maybe look it up in WDS?

Aside, where can I get MAK8 plugs? I have some other always-on aux systems I'd like to plug in that way for cleanliness, but never figured out what connector it was (thanks for mentioning it!)

P.S. That link to Taibanl's list of the distribution block amp ratings for the fuses may be reversed. He said it was "inboard to outboard" and the last one is hardwired. That would make the far right one hardwired, but the left one appears to have no fuse in it and it appears to be merely a part of the plate which would then be "hardwired" right? But the right one does appear to be the largest. So I am a bit confused.

Ahh, here you go for fuse ratings on the distribution block.

There are some 100s, an 80, and a 50A terminal, so if you're smart about which amp goes to which, and you include an appropriate and lower inline fuse after, you can definitely use them.
The part numbers are in Dannyboy's post just below this one (or try http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794560) I believe they are MAK8 connectors, I think I got that from realoem.com when I looked up the part numbers Dannyboy posted. I found some information about them on the LEAR website: http://www.lear.com/en/electrical/te...onnectors.aspx. Yeah, I guess I am going to have to pull that red positive adapter module and look into it before I start plugging into it. I dont need a fused connector as my power line already has a fuse in it.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.

Last edited by Quasimodem; 03-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Quasimodem is offline   United_States