Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Arrow Simeone Auto Museum in Philadelphia, Pa

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Name:  SAMBlueEmbType.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  105.4 KB

A few months ago, I flew home to the East Coast (Washington, DC) to visit my family. While there, a good friend of mine suggested I go visit the Simeone Auto Museum up in Philadelphia, PA. I had never heard of the place. But, I am always up for a good auto museum. So... off we went to Philly. I thought if nothing else... we would get in some tasty cheese steaks.

The Museum is relatively new. I think it opened back in 2010-ish and in 2011 it was declared one of the best automotive museums in the USA! What I really liked about the museum was EVERY car ran. Everything. The staff starts up the cars every week... and they even encourage people to come out when they drive the cars in the back parking lot! They have also been known to take small kids for their first race car ride out in the back parking lot. Also, every car in the collection is a real race car with HISTORY. There are no replicas here. This place smells of gasoline and motor oil - a great smell IF you are a car nut!

The Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum has more than 60 cars, displayed in dioramas that reproduce the famous venues where these cars actually competed and raced at. This is what really sets this museum apart from the other museums in the USA. Dr. Simeone is also known to hang out at the museum and answer visitor's questions. I was really impressed with the way the staff greeted us, and were keen to answer any questions we might have. One staff member was even nice enough to open the hood of one of the Bugatti's because my buddie wanted to see the machining work on the cylinderheads and engine block. Now that's service!

The Museum is located near the Philly airport - across the street from the various rental car storage/service lots of the airport rental car companies. The museum's building is very nondescript and you would never know the automotive treasures that await you inside if you drove past the place. I would highly recommend anyone on the East coast to go visit this museum! Some really fascinating cars were seen there.

Well... onto my photos.

Dackel

Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
6825 Norwitch Drive
Philadelphia, Pa., 19153
(215) 365-7233

www.simeonemuseum.org

Hours:

Tues - Friday: 10AM - 6PM
Sat, Sun: 10AM - 4PM
Closed Mondays

$12- Adults