07-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #377
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprodoti View Post
I pulled my radio to see what I am in for (regarding my retrofit) and notice that the Pro has a harness connection and only a black AM/FM tuner connection . Where does the GPS connection feed (blue) for the CIC come from, do I have to start at the shark fin. There is also a (Violet)( not the larger LVDS to CID) connection on the CIC (what is tied to that)?. Does that mean my roof arieal does not have a lead connected to the GPS or SDARS. Im confused on how I have no SDARS connection on my professional radio but I Sirius service??
GPS and SDARS connections are in the trunk.

Cars that come factory with a navigation unit installed have the GPS signal run to the headunit. If you don't have Navigation from the factory, the GPS signal runs to the trunk to feed the TCU (if installed) for BMW Assist. So BMW knows the vehicle location for Assist services (if Navigation is installed, BMW Assist uses the GPS location in the Navigation unit).

Pre-2010 models used a standalone SDARS module mounted in the trunk (left hand side, TCU is on the right). After 2010 SDARS was integrated into the headunit/navigation system.

Basically, you'll need to run extension cables for SDARS and GPS from the trunk to behind the new CIC. If you have the standalone SDARS unit installed, you'll need to remove it from the MOST loop and remove the unit (you can't just unplug it and remove it, you *MUST* reconfigure the fibre optic loop or install a dummy plug).

You may want to consider creating a new thread with your new adventure in installing the CIC. It'll help keep BimmerRetrofits thread on topic (since I would presume they provide installation assistance to customer who pruchased their products and services) and also give better visibility to your questions to the general community.