View Single Post
      02-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #3418
C9A1L1L
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Correction if i read your post correctly: (to my knowledge)

E85 is 105 RON which is the Octane fuel standard in Europe.

In USA our value is Ron+MON/2 = AKI (Anti Knock Index) you will see this on the pump R+M/2. That is how we get the rating of our Octane. Take both standards and divide by 2. So E85 is +- 96 AKI. So to compare apples to apples we have to use 96 AKI for E85. or use the 91 AKI value of RON to compare to 105 RON E85. not sure what that is though.

91 AKI fuel can contain up to 10% Ethanol not 10% E85.
Typo on the E85 portion but thats easy to understand considering the way I worded it.

As far as the octane rating use we have adopted the 105 simply as a better reference. At the end of the day its pointless since it doesn't truly signify the performance capabilities of the fuel itself. It doesn't behave anything like 96 octane fuel thus using an exacting octane conversion is far from apples to apples. Its a predominantly alcoholic fuel, Its apples to oranges no mater how you do it. As mentioned before it performs on par with C16 and in FI situations we have pulled even more power out of it due to the cooling properties. Pretty cool stuff at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0