View Single Post
      08-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #93
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I had the occasion to give the AS3 a good wiping on the backroads today. Couldn't test ultimate grip (open roads...), but here are some observation:
* Traction
* the dry traction is beyond expectations. It seems to me that I have a harder time inducing power oversteer with the AS3 than I did with the PSS
* the wet traction is vastly superior to the PSS

* handling is neutral
* no understeer was felt (admittedly not pushing my luck on open roads, again)
* the out of turn power delivery is clean, invites the driver to unwind quite naturally the steering as the power is resumed after the apex.
* throttle control of the radius in-turn is a little more muted than on the PSS. It takes a lot more input to result in the same rotational force.

* braking is clean
* the ABS did not kick-in much, even when purposefully trying (less than on worn-down PSS, comparable with honeymoon new PSS from my now old memory)
* The braking line is straight and the feel solid, when the front wheels are loaded the wheel remains calm and responsive to inputs. Again no understeer even when trailbraking moderately.
* the belts are softer than the PSS, you can feel the tire changing shape upon turn-in heavy trail-braking. There is a small period of non-linearity of the effort, it is short and not disruptive as it remains progressive and predictable.

Overall, very convinced. It may not be as good as the PSS for a Xcross, but for spirited driving, it is plenty enough. I couldn't find the grip limit on open roads, only traction and braking limit, and you have to go hard to get there, bordering piloting mistakes. When the limit in traction comes, you can feel it and correct easily. In all honesty, it doesn't feel like a downgrade for a driver of my level and open road use. It still feels good at the wheel and reacts with the superior accuracy and feedback I have experienced with the PSS (the AS3 feels better than the PS2, which I thought stellar at the time). Meanwhile, I do not drive fast enough to touch the grip limit on the AS3, an area where I suspect the PSS is superior.

Good stuff here. My only concern is winter weather....haven't heard any good feedback on this tire ins now yet...for those who don't have a winter only set, it is a critical requirement.
Appreciate 0