12-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #27
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Which DAC did you end up with after your 3X upgrade?
I'm now using the Fiio E-17 Alpen again. Turns out the static I was getting was from having the volume programmed to be too high in the AirEnabler.

I tried the Audioquest Dragonfly when I thought the Fiio was defective (which it wasn't) and it sounded good, too, but could not get the sound level to come close to matching the other sources (CD, SAT, FM). Plus, the Dragonfly was getting pretty warm. I talked to Audioquest about the use of the Dragonfly in this situation and they said they had never heard of Airplay for the car and did not support the use of their product for this application.

I worked with Qui (from AirEnabler) and we tried some new settings for the Dragonfly but they never worked out very well.

So...I went back to the Fiio, reduced the volume of the AirEnabler from 95 to 85 and bumped up the volume on the Fiio to 58 out of 60 and it sounds great. I see no reason to use anything else at this point. Plus the Fiio can be used as a portable head phone amp.

http://www.amazon.com/E17-Alpen-Port...&keywords=fiio
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0