View Single Post
      02-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep

Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxman999
If the new E54 engine only has 3.0 liter, then why name the car as 335i? Well, the current 325i has 3.0 liter engine, so it's just a way for BMW to differentiate their models. But I think these naming (325i, 330i and 335i) is very confusing if they all have 3.0 liter engines.
Indeed. But they did not wanted to confuse with even more characters like "ii" or "ti" - imagine: 330xti or 330xii.

Quote:
Honestly if I have to choose between 3.0 liter turbo engine with 306hp and 3.5 liter naturally-aspirated engine with 306hp, then I'll pick 3.5 liter engine, especially when their prices and performance are similar. This is no brainer. Why buy turbo engine that is more complicated and more things to break down????
Turbo prejudice.

Quote:
So what is the real advantage of turbo charged 3.0 liter engine over naturally-aspirated 3.5 liter? Does it have better performance, better reliability, better gas mileage or cost less? I think answers are all NO to all. I really don't know what BMW guys are smoking these days.....
Better performance? Sure. Much more responsible.
Better gas millage? Same.
Cost less? Same.
Reliable? Same - Mind that Valvetronic or Direct Injection engines are very complicated as well, yet still quite reliable. It will be the same with turbo.

Also turbo engines are "step-by-step" engines: BMW can programme it differently for different models, or for different periods of products life cycle.