View Single Post
      07-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #15
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but are you saying I should put the arm back on the ball joint (without nut), put the wheel back on and drop the car back down off its Jack stands THEN try your method? It'll be a little tough getting in there with car on all 4 wheels. Any specific place I should hit the knuckle? Thanks for the advice as it's ALL welcome at this point. Haha
I guess I'm confused. Are you trying to remove the thrust arm ball joint from the steering knuckle or are you trying to remove the ball joint from the thrust arm itself?

If you are trying to pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle then you just put a floor jack on the spindle with nut removed, while the front end is on jack stands, and jack it ever so slightly by the spindle to get some weight on the ball joint. Then a good whack with the hammer will do the magic and when the joint separates the weight of the car will settle back onto the jack stand. Were only talking about jacking the car a mm or so. Just enough to transfer weight onto the ball joint.
Appreciate 0