bnd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88, N55 135i DCT

DIY: Radiator Fan Removal - 335xi

Radiator Fan Removal DIY

2008 335xi N54 Auto

Note: I have an upgraded intercooler, do not have an oil cooler and this DIY may or may not work depending on year, engine, transmission, chassis.

This DIY is super easy, but do it at your own risk, I take no responsibility for any damage incurred.

DIY:
Top layout and fan layout for future reference

Step 1: Remove intake duct – 2 T20 screws

Step 2: Pop out coolant hose from 2 clips

Step 3: Remove electric plug from fan. Press and hold 2 tabs on either side of plug and pull plug up.

Step 4: Remove 1 – T25 screw located top left(passenger) side of fan.

Step 5: Raise vehicle (jack and jack stands, ramps, lift) or do this at the beginning if you want.

Step 6: Remove belly pan – 10mm screws

Step 7: Remove 1 – T25 screw located under the vehicle at drivers side. This screw attaches the exchanger to the radiator fan.

Step 8: While gently holding the coolant hose towards the engine and out of the way, slowly pull and wiggle the fan straight up. Check for hang-ups, snags and clearance while pulling up. Think I had to reach down and gently hold a hose out of the way. Fan slid up and out very easily, just take your time.

Reinstall reverse order, taking care while sliding the fan back in making sure that it goes into the guide stops on either side of the space. It may slide into another set of guide stops on the bottom where it meets your intercooler.

I removed my fan to gain clearance for the serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley replacement. Provided tons of space to work and made the job quick and easy.

Enjoy!

Last edited by bnd; 09-18-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0