View Single Post
      01-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slke46 View Post
Thanks for the advice, going to check out a couple stores this weekend and see which ones fit the criteria mentioned. I would really like to get a camera soon as the spring is soon approaching.
Great! Good luck, and enjoy the shopping.

Something to think about when loooking at the camera controls - you'll chage the ISO, white balance and quality the most often. Ideally, you'll want to have these as buttons on the camera, as opposed scrolling through menus to get to them. I don't know that the D40x or the XTi offer these as direct access features, but if you can get them, they're nice. I know the D200 (Nikon) has these, but that's a bit out of your stated price range.

Also, Ritz / Wolf offer free classes with a DSLR purchase, as well as coupons for free enlargement. Their prices are right at MSRP (most any reputable retailer will be at MSRP, you should buy on service), but the extras are worth the money, especially if you are new to photography.

The internet places advertising rock bottom prices are a rip. They part out the package, charging extra for the batteries, charger, caps, strap, etc. and may even give you a gray market camera w/o telling you. STAY AWAY! I've had outstanding luck with Ritz (Wolf in some markets), Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo Video. There are also good local stores. Unless your trying to save on the sales tax, consider buying something like this locally. The follow up service can be important, and the classes from Ritz are great for people new to DSLR's.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0