03-09-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
saini023
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
When you get the zsp option from BMW, or sport pack option from just about any other manufacturer, they come with recalibrated shocks because by lowering the car, you increase stress on the shocks (higher spring rates, reduced travel, etc...). They then design a shock that is made to operate with the new reduced height and stiffer spring rates. So when you change out the springs for lower and stiffer ones and leave the stock shocks, you add premature wear, and you have altered the operating range of the shocks, thus your not getting optimum ride and control as you would with a shock that is designed to operate with reduced travel and stiffer spring rates. In fact, if you have H&R "racing" and Eibach "sportline" springs, I'm pretty sure Koni offers a special *shorter* shock designed to work on really low cars.

So yes, you should upgrade the other *half* of the system at the same time when you change springs, but you don't have to...for a while.

Danny

makes a lot of sense when you break it down like that..thanks danny...i think i will change em both when i get around to it..very clear explanation..appeciate it
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit