05-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #70
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Not sure if it's all in my head or what. But once I realized that all the glass on the 328i I'm driving was made by Fuyao, it's like the car didn't handle as well anymore and the motor was kind of rough even for a four banger...
It's more about quality materials than poor engineering.

I love my 335i, but they clearly skimped on a lot of interior trim pieces compared to older generation BMWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

You think BMW builds cars in China to a different specification in China vs. the US vs. South Africa vs. Germany?
Yes & No.

It's possible that BMW may just build a cheaper model for the Chinese market. Fewer or different regulations/standards in China can lead to cost cutting and an inferior product. Or it's simply the chinese workers.... Who knows?

If you remember back a few years when Toyota/Lexus had massive recalls; the problems were isolated to vehicles manufactured in the US, while those made in Japan were unaffected. Again, the vehicles were probably designed to the same specifications, but the problem was isolated to vehicles manufactured by the US.

Or just look at the Takata airbag recall.... A Japanese company that probably designed a great product, but it's ruined by manufacturing in Mexico.