View Single Post
      02-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #21
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 335d

335d turbo and exhaust problems Help! I had some exhaust smell coming in through the vents so I popped the hooded to have a look around the engine.

While looking around I noticed that the smell was very intense around the turbos so I had a closer look with a flashlight and I noticed a lot of oil was leaking out around the turbo.

I took it to the shop and they replaced the turbos.

This was a simple fix but the bigger problem is the exhaust leak around the engine! This is a hazardous and poisonous problem that can be hard to detect and fix...

I will post a picture where I will point out the spots where oil was and is leaking! I cant figure out where the exhaust smell is coming from but I know for sure it is coming from the left side of the engine around the turbos... I don't know why it is not constant, it only smells from time to time, usually at low RPM under 2500.

Also I open the oil cap on the engine and I noticed a lot of white smoke inside the engine. Is that normal in a diesel engine? (this is the first diesel that I ever owned so I am not so familiar with this type of engine)

here is a picture of the 335d engine with description of the problem areas that I discovered.
Attached Images

Last edited by m.rk77; 02-03-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: here is a picture of the 335d engine with description of the problem areas that I discovered.