View Single Post
      12-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #18
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
a cold start process is what 5 minutes? its takes longer then that to fully warm the engine up, but 0W literally only helps for the first 20-30 seconds to circulate oil. after that, its nothing but disadvantages in terms of engine protection once you are up to temp. Mobil 1 is the most garbage oil brand you can use.. its for people concerned about a 30 second cold start and fuel efficiency, nothing else. it offers less protection at full engine temp which is where your engine clearly spends most of its time. I made this post to figure out which 5w-40 oil is best, not to have you try and convince me an oil not even spec'ed by BMW is best for my car.
A vast majority of engine wear occurs on starts, especially cold starts. I've heard 90% thrown around on places like BITOG. So yes, the 0W will help a lot with engine wear protection especially if you live in a cold climate (aka most of Canada).

Mobil 1 0W-40 used to be specced LL-01 but they recently reformulated and numerous arguments have been made whether it's still meeting the spec and if Mobil just decided to forgo the certification process. You're probably fine using it but might as well stick to an LL-01 oil if you want to be 100% safe.

Motul 5W-40 is a good oil, but make sure you use the LL-01 version which is 8100 X-Cess. They have another 8100 oil that's LL-04 and I believe 5W-30.

I've personally used Castrol Edge 0W-40 for a while in my N54, and I tracked the car through this. Never had problems. But at the end of the day thinking the oil "looks thinner" coming out is absolute bullshit and if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. Of course it's thinner, it's probably coming out a fair amount warmer than the fresh jug you're pouring in, because if you're doing your oil change correctly the engine should be warmed up so the oil can flow the contaminants out better.

The only way to accurately determine how the oil is holding up is with an used oil analysis. That being said, changing the oil at 5k is a waste of time and money. People have gone 17k based on the CBS and the UOA came back great. In fact, I remember the OP saying Blackstone actually said you could run it for longer.

I wouldn't recommend 17k because it makes me feel weird despite the scientific proof backing it up, but unless you're tracking the car (and no, driving fast onto on-ramps is not the same) you can believe the computer and hold out until 10-12k even with a quality oil like Motul.
Appreciate 1