03-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #319
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point6 View Post
Hello forum members, since this thread it's been revived, I would like to hear from your experience with the euro air filter box, found mine at this forum and installed last weekend, it came with an almost new K&N filter, I must say that besides all the opinions about increased performance, I personally couldn't perceive much of a difference (already have installed BMW performance exhaust), understand that and not that I was expecting more hp, what I did noticed although was a little rougher idle when starting the engine first thing in the morning when compared with the original box/filter before, I don't have a warning light but based on the perceived smell, it seems like the mix is too rich maybe? I didn't cleaned the MAF sensor when swapped the air boxes to prevent (IMO) an unfortunate 'check engine' light, does anyone had this experience? should I need to clean that MAF sensor maybe? car has 86k miles and recently bought it so no idea on when was the last time the former owner changed spark plugs or did a tune up (?)
Any feedback will be greatly appreciate it, thanks
I'd say it's worth it just for the convenience of changing the filter from the top. Also, it uses a cone filter, so it is probably as efficient as any other intake and easier to install than CAIs that come with their own intake tube. Some members here did some tests on the filters and said the K&N Euro intake let more air through than the stock filter or the paper filter that comes with the Euro intake, but that difference is probably not perceptible.

I think it is a little noisier, pleasantly so, versus stock intake, and not as unpleasantly resonating as the AFE CAI, which I used and changed for this one. But the AFE has the highest claimed hp of any of them. Still, most any gain is probably at WOT, so you won't notice a big difference and you are paying more per hp for intake and exhaust mods versus adding the 330 three stage intake to a 325 or 328 that has a single stage intake.

Like others said, it takes a few days for the ECU to adapt to a new intake. Watch for CELs as it is easy to trigger one while working on the intake and MAF, but it is usually easy to fix by just redoing whatever you did wrong or fixing whatever the CEL might indicate.