02-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #188
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
"Bad" as in you shouldn't do this for 10 seconds or bad as in it is OK to do it for 2 seconds?
2 seconds or 10 seconds, it's not good.

The "hill assist" on BMW is different. Hill assist uses the brakes to hold you still, not the clutch. On the E9x, just start on a hill like you would start off on a flat surface. The brakes continue to hold for up to 2 seconds (as long as the clutch is in), allowing you to get started off without rolling backwards at all.

On a car without hill assist, you either need to use the e-brake or be good at engaging the clutch quickly enough that you don't roll backwards much. Here's the bad thing you can do -- you can hold the clutch at the engagement point and just keep it there. Then you're holding the clutch / gas at the point where it is just engaged enough to keep you from rolling backwards, but not engaged enough to go forward. Your clutch is basically slipping the whole time, and that's what we're saying is bad. This is how you burn out a clutch. You don't have to worry about this on your E9x.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States