View Single Post
      01-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #238
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
OK hockey fans - what's your opinion on replay the way it is used today?

I have to admit I'm not a fan of replay in any sport. I understand it has it's merit in getting more calls correct but I do not like the fact that incorrect calls are still made after replay is utilized.... or the way in which replay is initiated prevents it from being used consistently.

I keep hearing (in football and hockey) the phrase "spirit of the game" - while I like that it had no real definition.

I dislike the significant delay that replay creates. In last nights Habs Isles game there was a 4 minute delay. If it takes that long to review a play it makes the outcome all the more questionable. In the end the correct call was made but here is what irks me about the game:

You can have a goal called back for a player having their skate an inch off the blue line entering the zone (which is the correct call) but penalties are so subjective without any recourse to make a correct call after the fact. So you have a portion of the game with 99% accuracy (goals) but you have another portion of the game with 75%-90% accuracy (penalties).

What do you guys think?
It's like two edged sword , it's good in terms of making no mistakes in the game but it's not a child game when a decision is processed by referees there should be closing the gate and no overturn . Video review is useful but makes me wonder when the hockey game was at fledging how on earth would have the referees made decisions ?
Let me share you an example of ridiculous decision in football , Bundesliga to be exact sorry I forgot the teams . Referee sent off one player showing him a straight red car , the player and his teammates also contested the wrong decision of the referee of the game .
The player got an expulsion and make his way all the way to the dressing room . A moments later with the help of the video room of umpires decision was overturned the same player was recalled and he rejoined in the game .
It was just a funny moment
Using technology is good but in such games like football , hockey , basketball where the flow of game speed can be distrupted referees must be careful when making decisions .
Mistakes are part of the games ,just like Coca Cola Zero I don't think anyone with right sense of mind would like to have a game mistakes galore but referees must be sensible too