View Single Post
      04-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
orangelax44

Drives: '06 BMW 330i

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted here, but I just wanted to share my experience with the Dension unit after several months.

Aside from the issues I already discussed previously, such as not being able to select CD2,CD3, or CD4, the unit works very well.

Even though I'm happy with buying and installing the unit for my purposes, there are two big reasons I cannot FULLY recommend this unit:

1. Occasionally, when browsing through folders using the idrive controller the unit hangs and shows "CD Content is loading". I have to shut the car down and restart the unit. This seems to happen when I'm selecting things very quickly.

2. The other issue (and much more serious) is that once in a while (maybe once a month) the entire bmw system goes haywire. I get an SOS warning in the dash, bluetooth goes dead, all radio and satellite functions die and BMW assist dies. The only thing that fixes this is to pull over, disconnect the unit, reboot it and turn the car back on. Now, this could be just an issue with my car and not the unit. I don't think there was a way for me to mess up the install, since it's a fiber optic loop, either everything works, or it doesn't, there's no in between.

Anyway, for ME, I think the Dension 500 was a good purchase. I have an '06 330i which had no good ipod options at the time, no 6FL equivalent other than the Dension. I do have to say that I think despite the bugs I've had, it's worked 90%. The lockups and SOS errors only seem to occur once a month which isn't that bad and the disabling of CD functions 2, 3 and 4 aren't a deal breaker.

Anyone else install the Dension and have a similar experience?