04-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by huchung
This thread is started to get people's view on the aftermarket and stock intakes. It is a discussion, not a 'those dyno results look photoshoped' thread. I have no associations with any of the companies, nor do I own an aftermarket intake. THAT MEANS: I am not here to defend one company or another. so PLEASE dont flame me.....im quite fragile . HAHAHA. j/p With that said, I am trying to figure out why I would put up 400 bux for an intake for gains that are comparable if I were to 'ghetto' it (ie, take the charcoal filter out).

Ive just spent the last hour reading about these aftermarket intakes and 'free horse power' threads, and something dawned on me. Has anyone removed their charcoal filter and dynoed the result? This is only an educated guess, but I think the results would come out similar to the after-market intakes. How much LESS do you think we'd gain if we were to do the same as those m5 members? Members here claim they feel the difference. Wishful thinking or truth? And if its the truth, wouldnt it be substantial gain to feel the difference? Say, +9hp +14tq?

So back to the main question/point: for $400, these company will provide you with an intake that will provide the same gain as removing the charcoal filter in the stock box?

What do you guys think? Are my reasoning abilities clouded by the stick-icky in my system?
Speaking as a person who was one of the first to dare to remove the charcoal filter(I say that jokingly since people still seem to be freaking out about removing it ) , your thoughts as to the HP and tq gain from removing the charcoal filter is just wishful thinking. While I do feel feel a difference in the way the car accelerates, I would be very surprised if I got any HP gain from removing the filter. Smoother acceleration does not necessarily equal increased HP or TQ. While it's very possible that I got a HP or 2 gain there is no way it's anywhere near what the change to a good aftermarket intake will provide. This is a example of you get what you pay for. Free= little to none, $= more.
Appreciate 0