View Single Post
      05-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
SteVTEC
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
the turbo's seem to work fine in diesel applications...........
Apples to oranges because for one, the loading situation is much different in diesels, and also the exhaust gas temperature in diesels is like one-third that of petrol/gas engines. So just from that alone, getting a bulletproof petrol turbo engine out the door is a significantly greater challenge. BMW stated that they're using a special material in the turbos to make it resistant to temps as high as 1050-1900C so that they wouldn't have to run a rich mixture to cool the EGT and help the turbo be more reliable. Doing that also saves gas since it lets them run a leaner mixture. Hopefully they got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
I've stated this before in other threads and it applies here... It would be a PR nightmare if the turbo is anything but trouble free. Any problems and American consumers will run away from BMW turbos and not look back.
You're right. I would love to buy an E60 535i, but if I see people having lots of issues here I'm going to just forget it and go with a 530i. Hopefully the engines will be bulletproof right out the door and nobody will have any problems.