09-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Garages - Advice

Hi,

I’m looking to get a “budget” garage at some point and I was wondering about construction and sizing. It looks like from top to bottom in terms of what’s best: brick work, breeze block, wooden garage, insulated metal garage and then a concrete sectional garage. I’m not after anything super fancy or expensive.

I am looking at either a insulated metal garage or a concrete sectional garage as wooden, breeze block and brick is way over my budget. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with metal or concrete garages and if they would recommend them or not? I often see the metal and concrete garages come up for sale second hand too so looks to be good for some money saving. I understand you can’t really hang anything on the walls which I wasn’t really planning on doing, but I may well insulate and then board the internals so you could hang things if needed.

Size wise I was thinking that it would be nice if the internal useable dimensions are 6-6.5 metres long and 4.5-5m wide, the concrete pad obviously a bit bigger and roughly 6-7 inches deep.

My main requirements is for it to fit one medium sized car (currently have e90 330d, but would like to fit estate size cars into there too like e91 and be able to comfortably work on all areas of the car without it being too tight. I would look to use either quick jacks or a small “portable” 2 post lift like the maxjax. I would have electrics and eventually will have some kind of heating but wouldn’t be concerned with that at the start.

Any advice is much appreciated
Appreciate 0