View Single Post
      06-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #70
FieldingMellish
Captain

Drives: 330i M Sport auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Very interesting!

Though how do you share film photography? I actually quite like it, it reminds me of when I was little taking pics then taking the film to the camera shop to be processed and wondering how it would come out (think there were digital cameras about but we couldn't afford one) I always enjoyed photography as I've always been creative, was allowed to play with a camera but not with paint 'cos I lived in a hotel!!
What I wish someone had told me when I was young and having a go at photography was: Use Slide Film.

To answer your question, of course it's more laborious to share film. (Or at least, it's more difficult to share film digitally. You could always invite your mates round for a slide show.) Probably teh easiest way to make film photos available on teh internet - if not the cheapest - is to send the roll(s) of film off to somewhere like Peak Imaging in Sheffield, and get them to send you back a box of transparencies plus a CD with professional scans of all the slides. Or you can have a go at scanning them yourself, either with a dedicated slide scanner (quite expensive) or a slide adapter for a flatbed scanner (not as high quailty but still worth a go).

Depends on how much photography you're planning on doing. If you want to take loads and loads of snapshots, forget about film, but instead of a digital SLR you could consider one of the non-SLR digitals. I have a Canon IXUS which is excellent, for example. Not trying to sway you away from a digital SLR, of course, after all I also have one of those! Mine is now quite antiquated as the technology moves so fast, it's a Nikon D70, only a humble 6 megapixels, but you can get some great results, particularly if you 'fill the frame' with one strong subject, eg. someone's face, rather than, say, a landscape shot, which is where a lot more skill is needed to transcend the limitations and eccentricities of digital.

Digital is really good for doing special effects stuff, because you can experiment and experiment and it costs nothing to take another shot, and you get instant feedback so you can make adjustments and keep going. But in a lot of ways the strengths of digital - like instant feedback - are also its greatest weaknesses. Digital takes a lot of the fun and sense of achievement out of film photography. Arguably! And using film feels much more organic. You also tend to slow down, take less shots, take more care over each shot, and so get better results. Maybe!