View Single Post
      03-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Fiasco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I'm not sure a tire exists that's going to do everything you need it to do well. Being in Canada do you use snow tires in the winter?

The summer tires I've been impressed with in no particular order are:
Sumitomo HTR Z III
General G max UHP
Firestone Firehawk indy 500
Achilles ATR sport (extremely underrated tire)

I've used the Firestones for light track use and they did great. I've heard of people using the Sumitomos with good luck.

Also worth noting, I've heard the Federal 595 SS and RS-SS or whatever are excellent cheap track tires, but I absolutely HATED them on the street. I would never consider running that tire for a dual duty car but if you were to get two cheaper sets of tires and switch back and forth, that's a good option.
You're absolutely right. While there may be jack of all trades and master of none tires out there, im not after that. I am in Canada and I do use winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90's to be exact). So winter is sorted, im looking for a summer tire that I can take to the track and still drive around town, pretty one dimensional use case as I will be switching back and forth during summer and winter like you mention.

I have heard good things about both the General G max UHP and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. I have also heard terrible things about Federals so nice to see that confirmed on another level. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s? My research has revealed these to be at the top of the range in terms of dry performance, wet performance, track performance and street performance. Looking to get some more first hand info before spending that kind of money though.
Appreciate 0