View Single Post
      03-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #56
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOfTheDead View Post
1) I could say the same for you. Why do you drive a tall, heavy SUV gussied up with go-fast bits? After all, it’s not a sports car. I like the manual because it’s fun. If I only cared about speed I’d drive a Model S Plaid.

Here I am real confused... are you arguing the MOST common use case of a performance SUV?... i.e. folks that need practicality of an SUV... size, seating and in some cases comfort but also want solid performance... the car does 0-60 in the 4s... which is better than many sports cars... so while its by no means a thoroughbred, it has a lot in numbers to back itself up.

2) Actually, it’s not the same as a 2014. The V6 was new for the Taco in 2016 and has received numerous incremental improvements. It has plenty of power and torque, especially for “not a sports car”. That 0-60 is for the base 4 cylinder work truck used by the likes of O’Reilley’s parts delivery services, and for the V6 pro. The regular model V6s do mid 7s, which again is totally adequate. Giant off road tires and lifted suspensions kill acceleration times. I get about 20 combined in the Taco, which matches the average for manual M4s. So it has rear drum brakes. It still stops just fine. Audi Q4 etrons use them too.

Is that supposed to be good if that's what a 480 HP M4 does? I've driven a Taco and was personally even interested in purchasing one... but after driving it... I ran from that dealership like Usain Bolt... it felt dated, unsafe based on body tilt, braking and overall acceleration.

3) Audis and Porsches have aftermarket parts. Does that make you X3 a bad choice?

No - which is why unlike you I would never defend BMW with that argument.... in fact I've owned an Audi.

4) That was more of a blanket statement. But there are examples like the higher trim Rams. The refresh F150 is also going to a giant tablet that controls everything.

ok

6) Does it matter *why* it has good resale? Nope. I could easily sell mine for about what I paid for it. That’s all that matters. And again, not sure why the perseverance on the 0-60 time. It’s honestly totally fine. I’ve never found it to be insufficient. As for price, I paid $38k for my new Taco. No markups. No add ons. For what it is, that’s not expensive.

No it, doesn't matter at all... but somehow ironically you have a super fun car already an M4 in manual... so why the need for a manual Taco which doesn't offer anything in the way of driving experience is beyond me... you find it fun... no issues with that but that's a feel arguement not a competitive set argument of what makes the truck good.

I think if the Taco is to serve partially as an offroad vehicle, it's probably an ok choice if you don't mind it's performance... but I'll ask a dumb question that I already know the answer to... why not a Ridgeline? Which is far better on the street, faster, just as reliable, has better tech and can still do basic truck duties... the answer is because the Taco is a lifestyle truck. I hate the Ridgeline as much as the next guy but if you discount offroad capability... its a far better road pickup than a Taco.

I don’t understand a lot of vehicle purchases, but if it makes the owner happy, good for them.
I'll end with... the resale is based on reliability primarily... do people think a Taco will never be updated or refreshed? The tundra and sequoia was and now the reliability / reliability arguement is absolutely dead in the water entirely.