View Single Post
      11-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #61
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
You can scope the Vanos bolts through the oil filler with a common USB inspection camera. Rotate the crank with a socket wrench, and see if the Vanos bolts are all there. 4 each on the back of the intake and exhaust Vanos units...
Hi Mike,
Since my 3/2007 N52K E91 was built BEFORE the earliest build date subject to Recall, I have NOT used my USB Endoscope to view VANOS bolts. I have several questions:

1) Can you see the Top-2 bolts on BOTH the Intake Cam & Exhaust Cam using scope? Some have reported (perhaps incorrectly ;-) being UNable to see one VANOS unit with scope.

2) Did you save image file (jpg, etc.) of Scope screen, and if so can you attach it?

3) What Make/Model Scope (USB I presume ;-) did you use?

4) I presume you can use that scope with either a laptop (USB A connector) or phone (USB C connector)?

I have a cheap Endoscope from Amazon (see link below) that has light but image definition is NOT the greatest. If we can exchange details to help folks be able to inspect in 5 minutes without removing VC, I'll take the time to save jpg ScreenPrints, and post here.
https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endosco...7&sr=8-10&th=1

ANYONE know if there is a NEW RCRIT, or if the one related to 14V-176 (attached) still applies? If new RCRIT, please attach pdf, or provide link.

Be aware that the attached RCRIT (pdf p.14) provides for VANOS Unit replacement if ANY of its 4 bolts is loose/broken:

"If any of the bolts were loose or broken during this procedure, the VANOS assembly will need to be replaced. Refer to step 14."

There is also provision in earlier RCRIT for finding broken bolts (pan removal if necessary). I don't recall seeing anything more than BOLT replacement mentioned in new Recall documents appearing thus far. ANYONE having recall performed SHOULD request copy of BMW's recall procedure, and ask what was actually DONE.

The Devil is in the DETAILS,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCRIT-14V176-2716 VANOS Bolts.pdf (436.0 KB, 132 views)
Appreciate 2