View Single Post
      01-10-2024, 12:10 AM   #1
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Question Sell or repair? Calling all e90 owners!

Calling all e90 owners! I need an outsider to give me an unbiased opinion on my car.

I've got e90 330i auto, pre lci with n52 engine. Overall I like the car, however I'm at the point where I'm having second thoughts whether to keep the car, or sell it and buy something else.

The good:
- Less than 100k miles
- Body work and interrior - overall great
- Only 1 active fault code - AUC sensor, not a big deal!

The bad:
- rare transmission error (4f8d). Needs new seals (and while at it, all solenoids). Other than this happening once in a few months, the gearbox is as good as it gets. Pushing this job until i decide what to do moving forward.
- oil pan leak
- Small coolant leak somewhere (need to top it up with few hundred ml every few months)
- General service history quite poor. The only things that's been replaced in the past include:

From previous owners:
a) Waterpump & thermostat at 60k miles
b) Plugs and coils over 6 years ago at 55k miles
c) OFHG at 65k miles
d) both Vanos Solenoids at 90k miles

From myself:
a) 2x lower control arms
b) power steering reservoir & fluid
c) transmission oil & pan
d) 1x door actuator
e) maf & bonnet sensors
f) all brake discs & pads at 97k miles
g) all pulleys & new belt at 95k miles

Not counting smaller bits and pieces, fixing broken trunk wires etc.

As it stands, I would need to do followings things in order to get the car to the place I'd like it to be:

- 4 New tires (non rft). Currently with all original potenzas with OK thread, but massive tramlining. Not fun to drive.
- gearbox service (change of solenoids and all rubber seals)
- 2x disa valves
- VCG in the near future given mileage
- New plugs and coils given age
- New shocks with all associated parts (both front & back), (possibly adding to tramlining)
- Coolant mickey-mouse flange and potentially a new hose

If all of these common issues would be dealt with, the car will be in a very good condition, however as you might guessed, it'll get quite costly to get this all done.

I would probably be able to sell the car AS IS between £4-£5k because it's driving currently spotless.

Few options I have in mind:
A) Fix all things and keep the car for next few years. Car value + repairs would end up costing about as much as a used F10 with N52/N53 (minus unknown of it's service history). Given e90 won't depreciate much more (i think?), is it worth keeping it, or should I sell it while I can?
B) Sell this car and get F10 with the same engine. Higher cost, but potentially higher resel value? Smarter financial decision in a long run, or no?
I like design of early F10 m sport much more, looks and feels much more luxurious and for the most part has all the same engine.

I'm currently saving for a house, so not willing to spend more than £10k for a car. And given I could buy for this money F10 with N52/N53 (much nicer, bigger and newer), I'm not sure it's a smart move as all same parts might be failing there too, thus potentially increasing total spend on a car.

Please share your thoguhts as I've been debating this for quite a few months now! Car price market is currently on a high end, however it seems it started to cool down. Probably a good time for such decisions?

Appreciate your time reading this through!
Appreciate 0