View Single Post
      08-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

My JB3 Experience

Went up to Terry's last weekend and we put a JB3 Beta in the car. Some issues were had with the PNP harness, but needless to say this is going to be a truly simple system when the production version rolls out and Terry's customer service is top notch as always.

Coming from the JB2, the allure of the JB3 was not necessarily the power, but the increased control the unit offers allowing for smoother delivery of that power. With catless downpipes, the JB2 is very unpleasant in 1st and 2nd gear. Boost comes on almost instantly making for a really jerky experience that makes the car uncomfortable to drive at low speeds and in traffic. Things get even worse the R switch is engaged. It was so bad I was at times embarrassed when passengers would make comments about it. The power was strong, but the smooth nature of my BMW engine had all but disappeared!

Enter the JB3 - problem solved! Boost is now delivered in a much more linear fashion and the car feels as smooth as it did when stock, with much more grunt (obviously). The JB3 recognizes situations where downpipes are present and tunes the car accordingly. The car really rips up top, where a stock engine or even a JB2 begins to choke up. I could not be happier with the steps Terry has made with the new JB3. It is clearly a much more sophisticated product and the smooth power delivery is a complete joy to experience. It may sound silly, but the car even 'sounds' smoother and yes I'm being serious.
Appreciate 0